I suggest you ...

Roll Behaviors and TriggerActions into the .NET framework proper

Remove the dependency on the custom Blend assembly and add Visual Studio support

263 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pete BrownAdminPete Brown (Admin, Developer Community) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mike.strobelmike.strobel commented  · 

I suspect this might be in the works, as the many of the related base classes (i.e. Trigger and TriggerAction) have been moved out of Blend-specific assemblies into a System.Windows.Interactivity assembly. It's probably only a matter of time before that assembly becomes freely redistributable (not tied to the Blend SDK). Personally, I would be fine with this. I'm a little doubtful that the assembly will get rolled into Silverlight (as they do all they can do keep the size down). My biggest complaint with these APIs is that they have been diluted to maximize compatibility with Silverlight, and as such, I would prefer they stay out of the WPF proper.

• Laurent BugnionLaurent Bugnion commented  · 

Oh yeah since we're at it: Can we also have MEF assemblies as first class citizens?

• Laurent BugnionLaurent Bugnion commented  · 

In MVVM Light Toolkit, I chose to have a 2 DLLs approach: Essentials (without any external dependencies) and Extras (with Sys.Win.Interactivity dependency). It was rather well accepted by the users. Generally speaking, I agree with Rob that any additional dependency is making the feature harder to sell, especially in SL where size matters.

• Rob EisenbergRob Eisenberg commented  · 

I had considered moving Caliburn's action mechanism to be built on top of Behaviors. But, I cannot do this unless it is part of the core platform. I cannot force developers to take yet another dependency for no apparent reason.

Feedback and Knowledge Base