I suggest you ...

Implement Deep Zoom / MultiScaleImage

Would like this both for feature parity and to provide direct support for the creation of something like a native WPF Bing Maps control. Bridging in Silverlight apps or hosting a web page are not ideal solutions

305 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Pete BrownAdminPete Brown (Admin, Developer Community) shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Roberto SonninoRoberto Sonnino commented  · 

While we don't have the full MultiScaleImage on WPF from Microsoft, I've developed my own and released it as Open Source on http://deepzoom.codeplex.com . An article explaining how it's done is also available at http://bit.ly/deepzoomwpf .
        It's compatible with Deep Zoom Composer and Zoom.it images (though not compatible yet with collections), besides letting you create images in memory and passing Streams instead of URIs to the tile source.
        Hope it helps!

• swythanswythan commented  · 

We'd want to hook in at the tile source level, so that we could compute the image tiles on demand (on a background thread hopefully), as opposed to downloading them from somewhere. We're doing composition of several layers of high res imagery, and without something like DeepZoom the perf is horrible. (Obviously we are implementing our own stop-gap in the meantime, but it's not as nice as DeepZoom).

• Pete O'HanlonPete O'Hanlon commented  · 

Hoo yeah - there are so many things I could do with applications if we had this running as a first class WPF citizen.

• jdujdu commented  · 

This is extremely interesting in line of business app if I'd like to create heavy image-based visualisations, à la MS Pivot.

Feedback and Knowledge Base