or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Simon BondSimon Bond commented  · 

Yes! As Josh says, please give us GraphicsDevice.SetSharingMode(bool enableDirect3d) as well as UIElementRenderer class -- EXACTLY as you've done for silverlight/xna. That would be totally grouse.

• Josh ReubenJosh Reuben commented  · 

Silverlight 5 has 3D API wrappers for XNA classes - an immediate mode graphics pipeline. Can we get the same in WPF ?

• Josh ReubenJosh Reuben commented  · 

Silverlight 5 has 3D API wrappers for XNA classes - an immediate mode graphics pipeline. Can we get the same in WPF ?

• codecorecodecore commented  · 

The bitch is that XNA was based on DX9. Look to SlimDX for DX11-level support, or OpenTK. Perhaps things have changed, but one downside to XNA has been the requirements to use the resource compilers/content pipeline. That's not beneficial for user-contributed content such as textures and audio. Perhaps the answer is a plug-in 3D model, where you can choose the rendering engine.

• SavvasSavvas commented  · 

This is really an importand point, although I understand it may be difficult to implement. We spend a lot of time implementing UI in XNA games when in reality we should only be using XNA for the games and WPF for the UI.

Think about it for a minute. We are using XNA not for the performance, but for how very easy it is to do some simple, lightweight games with it. Exactly the reason we need WPF for the UI elements of a game.

• adamqkaneadamqkane commented  · 

I'd love to be able to have an XNA user control within my WPF application, allowing me to use WPF for my 2D interface controls.

• DaveDave commented  · 

Is this something that is being worked on? Or is this just not going to happen?

• Justin ChaseJustin Chase commented  · 

I would like to have the opposite, not to host XNA in wpf but to be able to use XAML in an XNA application.

I would want the full power of XNA but for simple things like buttons and screens and such it would be nice to just throw together some xaml.

• Reed Copsey, Jr.Reed Copsey, Jr. commented  · 

There are also issues since XNA uses the Managed pool for resources instead of self-managing them. This tends to cause issues when using D3DImage.

• Jeremiah MorrillJeremiah Morrill commented  · 

I think the original poster wants to be able to render XNA using the D3DImage class. Though there are are reflection hacks to make it work, XNA does not use IDirect3DDevice9Ex internally, so performance suffers on Vista or greater.

Feedback and Knowledge Base