I suggest you ...

Native WPF Webbrowser Control

The current Webbrowser in WPF is only a wrapper around the IE WebBrowser Control. It would be great to have a native WPF Webbrowser Control.

368 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • jpjp commented  · 

Too bad you still haven't fixed the airspace issues. I have a simple DataGrid, where one column is HTML, I use a System.Windows.Controls.Webbrowser and it pays very little attention to the vertical margins of the datagrid. I think you guys should get your act together instead of playing games with us MSFT adopters. You guys are very irritating to us developers.

• Eric BergerEric Berger commented  · 

This is planned since 2 1/2 years?!?
        Is it that big? More than having an IE7 rendering in my WebBrowser control, I have no chance to use SignalR at all (minimum is IE8). This is clearly a show stopper for me.
        Should I use Chromium integration? develop a Native WPF equivalent to my web content?
        FYI, Updating the registry is not an option in my case.

Is there a schedule for this "Planned" resolution?

Thanks

• jschroedljschroedl commented  · 

Please work on this one!!

It's not fixed in.NET 4.5 (from the VS 11 Beta) and it looks like the airspace issue has been put down with a bullet to the head.

• Robert4WPFRobert4WPF commented  · 

According to the readme of the .NET 4.5 developer preview, the airspace issue fix has issues still, and may not make the final 4.5 release. Getting the airspace issue fixed is absolutely critical for WPF, both for hosting the browser and for integrating high performance immediate mode rendering. I really hope that the feature is included; I'd go so far as suggest that .NET 4.5 be held up until the airspace fix is ready. Since there is no real alternative to WPF for desktop development, shipping without this fix is basically a red flag that Microsoft has abandoned its Desktop developers.

• BooBoo commented  · 

@Pete Brown "remove the airspace issues"

Does it mean that i can put it into a Viewport2DVisual3D and it will play nicely? even with a flash content inside?

• BooBoo commented  · 

Any news about this feature?
        Awesomium costs 4800$!!!

IE9 is out and i hope this will help you!

• electricninjaelectricninja commented  · 

They gave you the WebBrowser wrapper to shut you up, not because the rich client needs HTML for anything anymore. They won't rewrite it from scratch for you too.

• mike.strobelmike.strobel commented  · 

There seems to be an awful lot of demand for a native WPF HTML engine. Perhaps some of us should pool our efforts to implement an open source solution. I tend to doubt that Microsoft will invest the necessary resources, which are considerable. However, with enough volunteers, I suspect we could deliver something adequate for general HTML rendering (but not necessarily a complete, modern browser). We could even implement a Javascript engine on top of the DLR. Anyone interested in leading such a project? I'd be willing to contribute, but I don't have the time to manage a project of this magnitude.

• in8mediain8media commented  · 

Yes, this is absolutely fundamental. I'm amazed the current WebBrowser in WPF shipped and has stuck around for 4 major releases. I'm waiting for the Awesomium Wrapper to be ready (still has some issues, doesn't yet build in .NET 4)

• Russ WilliamsRuss Williams commented  · 

Having a control like this would be very helpful for Microsoft Surface applications since the wrapped WPF web browser control is not ScatterView friendly since it can't be rotated and such. In some scenarios, you may just want a WPF HTML engine for stuff that would be read-only HTML content. In other cases on Surface, you may want a browser control that has no browser chrome (so it’s inconspicuous among the other Surface content) but still support navigation in some Surface appropriate manor.

• Geoff BullenGeoff Bullen commented  · 

I believe this to be a fundumental requirement. We live in an age where we need tailored web experiences. Look at what Adobe Air provides - an integrated web browser experience that is redendered using the same graphics engine as the rest of the environment, meaning that web content can be shaped, rotated, translated, etc in the same way as any other object.

• Roland TomczakRoland Tomczak commented  · 

The probleme with the Awesomium solution is clearly the licencing issues... Its licence fees are not adapted to small-size projects... And it creates a new dependency on a third party editor, for a must-have solution (e.g, for natural interactions & surface computing ). It's quite sad that a native wrapper for, let's say, IE 9, isn't available, since IE 9 rendering is Direct X powered.

• mike.strobelmike.strobel commented  · 

Sounds like what you're asking for is actually native WPF HTML engine?

Feedback and Knowledge Base