I suggest you ...

Main language for the Windows 8 development

Silverlight has showcased how it performs and its fabulous flexibility and performance in interface development, together with all the added sugar of the .Net platform.

I am suggesting to make it the lead development technology for Windows 8.

2,423 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jose Luis LatorreJose Luis Latorre shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

238 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • tsaitsai commented  · 

C#, .NET, WPF, Silverlight

• Anonymous commented  · 

I'm still confused and my question has yet to be answered. My question is: "How can I download
        videos from UTube to my Sansa Fuze+? Can anyone give me an workable answer?

• Florin NeamtuFlorin Neamtu commented  · 

PLEASE!!!! assemble a small team to continue development of Silverlight with the purpose of, at least, enabling SL apps to run on Win8 modern UI - there is no other way Microsoft will ever be successful at bringing a tablet (or win8) into the enterprise space. By the time you will have a product that enterprises can start looking at, they will have built already an inventory of apps on ios and android - win8.1 is very far from that. Whatever Ballmer believes about software, times are very different now and choices in abundance for enterprises which need mobile apps. No large enterprise has any serious incentives to write an app on win8, but MANY already have very capable Silverlight apps already written - if those SL apps would run on win8 (even with little modifications) the situation will be very different!

And yes, these Silverlight apps will not integrate into the Modern UI - but who really cares about it? Those charms aren't of much benefit to enterprise consumers anyway. Later on, you could even develop an extension to allow Silverlight apps integrate seamlessly with the Modern UI charms.

• HenkHenk commented  · 

I agree that at this moment there is NO technology which give you a RAD development than using C# and Silverlight! We see and read a lot of focus of HTML5 by Microsoft (MSDN and Technet articles) and a complete radio silence about Silverlight. Microsoft should learn from the competition that you should not DUMP great technology every 3 or 4 years. You dont hear from Apple that they abandon Objective-C and Google with Android for HTML5! HTML5 is a refurbished old and non RAD technology that gives u headaches because of the browser differences!. It would be very dissapointing if Microsoft does NOT allow Silverlight in Win8 ARM tablet devices. It's like killing your own child because the "environment", ie. Apple, does not accept how your child behave. The opposite should be true and Microsft should deliver SL also for other platforms ie Android and convince apple to accept SL that SL <> Flash! I hope Microsoft read this forum and listenen to their developers!

• Kai SellgrenKai Sellgren commented  · 

No this makes no sense. HTML5 along with WP8 and Boot2Gecko are making the right thing.

• alexalex commented  · 

Silverlight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Gaetano GliattaGaetano Gliatta commented  · 

VB.NET, C#, .NET Framework, WPF, Silverlight in all platform desktop and mobile

• mass beefsteakmass beefsteak commented  · 

.NET/VS2010/BLEND/LINQ/ENTITY <== voila there is the killer productivity stack !
        we *dont* ever have a working html 4.0 !!!!!!!!!!! and you guys want to sell me html5 ? HAHAHAHA !!!!!!!! this is hopeless period !

• drGrey2005drGrey2005 commented  · 

C#, .NET, WPF, Silverlight 4ever

• HenkHenk commented  · 

Please Microsoft dont make the mistake to switch Silverlight with HTML5 and javascript! It is inferior technology. Push SL more by adding support for Android. If possible also for IOS. But why not providing a service where SL appl can be automatically transformed to HTML5?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

am suggesting to make it the lead development technology for Windows 8

• DannyDanny commented  · 

Please, SL & WPF are by far superior dev environments. Seriously, what are you thinking ?

• tsaitsai commented  · 

NET, WPF, Silverlight forever.

• Marc HoeppnerMarc Hoeppner commented  · 

Silverlight still is the most important and promising platform from MS in the past years. For this very reason many MS partners invested heavily into this technology. Make sure that their trust in MS was valid...

• KryalKryal commented  · 

.NET has been the most promising development platform for the past decade, and has seen far more advancement and sophistication than anything else in the development world. Desktop developers finally saw a light at the end of the tunnel with Silverlight, eliminating the need for native window management and platform-specific design. The possibility of developing an application once and deploying it to ANY hardware / processor platform is what the computing world NEEDS! And no, Javascript is not programming and HTML design is not development. If Microsoft cannot see how imperative this is, they should at least make Silverlight their native goal for Windows 8. To the Microsoft execs: The development world is moving beyond platform limitations with or without you. You hold a trump card that will give you an unprecedented edge in the platform wars, but you do not see it. Developers will leave you and instead write HTML/Javascript like you preach, which will be a very sad day indeed. You're right when you say plugins should be phased out; Silverlight was never meant to be a plugin.

• LunkwillAndFookLunkwillAndFook commented  · 

Let me start by saying there is no technical reason that I can determine not to make Silverlight/WPF and HTML 5 co-equal partners. I don't mind if MS wants to back the HTML5 bandwagon but excluding Silverlight from the Metro-mode version of Internet Explorer 10 and trying to kill it off as a development platform for Windows 8 is a death-sentence for Windows. I am an app developer, both for Enterprise and for fun. If this moves forward as-is I will gladly spend the time to learn HTML5 but I will also be writing my apps for Google and Apple platforms first. I thought the MS folks "learned" from the disaster that was Vista. The lesson there is not to alienate those which your platform depends on: OEM vendors, developers, and customers. You alienated the OEM vendors with the Vista driver model change and that OS was fail. Now you are alienating your core developers and evangelists by dumping Silverlight which is going to make Windows 8 fail. How many times is MS going to make the same mistake over and over with a different twist before the investors force them to get some new direction at the top?

• KrzysztofKrzysztof commented  · 

Don't make Windows 8 a disaster! No devs = no succes of Windows 8. We want Silverlight, not a technology, which will become standard in 2020!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base