• google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

We already did that for you. If you use NOV:

https://www.nevron.com/products-open-vision.aspx

You can enjoy a professional text rendering engine that truly WYSIWYG and is much like the text inside Adobe PDFs. NOV Text Editor can also help you open/edit/export docx, rtf, html, pdf etc. Enjoy it.

• Alex KAlex K commented  · 

@Shaun I think so, but you never know how "professional" it is.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

As of today, Flash fonts look a lot nicer. We want sharp, smooth fonts. I don't want to feel like I'm looking at Windows XP fonts.

• Christian Palmstierna ⓋChristian Palmstierna Ⓥ commented  · 

To me, the most important feature would be improving the actual rendering (some font and style combinations look like crap), and adding new rendering modes along the lines of Adobe CS (normal, crisp, strong, smooth etc). I don't know how many times a beautiful PSD design has looked like crap when implemented in SL just because the text rendering is so horrid in comparison.

• garethwattgarethwatt commented  · 

Agreed, as a long-term user of Flash I'd say that the text rendering capabilities even in very earlier versions (of Flash) are far superior (to SL). Also with Flash you don't have the legal implications of redistributing fonts as part of your .swf as the fonts are 'resynthesized'. As Jacob correctly says designers want to be able to at least control leading/kerning etc.

Further to this it would be useful to be able to specify textblocks as 'copy/pastable' via a property to allow users to select text from your SL app and cut and paste it into another app on their computer.

• JacobJacob commented  · 

At the minimum, it'd be nice to be able to control things like leading and kerning. Every designer I know always adjusts stuff like that, and that makes it hard to integrate into XAML TextBlocks.

• Jose FajardoJose Fajardo commented  · 

if this is flowdocument then yes you get my vote, we need a good way to flow text around objects and get access to these elements programatically (like during copy/paste scenarios or spell checking/thesauraus scenarios).

Trying to keep close to the WPF if possible BUT if you need to reinvent a new way please port back into WPF.

• GopeGope commented  · 

Exactly! I would like to cascade textboxes and use multi column layouts. Even more important is the ability to get beyond the rectangular textframes meaning grouping of textboxes and graphic objects to create textflow paths so that the text gets layouted around objects!
        Great stuff otherwise. Keep up the good work!

• fuzzymanfuzzyman commented  · 

A better subset of FlowDocument is *much* needed so that XAML can be shared between Silverlight and WPF. Text rendering in Silverlight is awful - and rtf is a pretty horrible API for *displaying* formatted text.

• misha.bergalmisha.bergal commented  · 

I don't think that we need WPF's FlowDocument, but just something that professionally (well, on par with Flash) renders text.

Yes, rendering quality got from unacceptable in SL2 to acceptable in SL3, but after spending a lot of time working on professional UX and UI of my app I just cannot allow first impression of it to be ruined by unprofessional SL font rendering.

• Martin KirkMartin Kirk commented  · 

Is this related to FlowDocument (WPF) ??

Feedback and Knowledge Base