I suggest you ...

Enhance the rendering bitmap API and GPU usage also using shaders on the GPU

Right now the bitmap APi is primitive and needs more functionality as well as performance enhancements. We also need more functionality on the GPU, especially the shaders and 3D abilities in WPF. This would give game developers some serious power instead of what we have now.

1,614 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gareth CurtisGareth Curtis commented  · 

We need PNG encoding because we send an encoded PNG to the server. It would be nice if support for image encoders / decoders was built into the framework.

• Jackov KolodniJackov Kolodni commented  · 

Keep in mind to support good drawing performence

• BorysGBorysG commented  · 

Current implementation has different bugs such as memory leaks and security restrictions - an improvement is required so much

• Xiaoting LiuXiaoting Liu commented  · 

we using sl4 develop a mmorpg,we need this so much

• smithkl42smithkl42 commented  · 

Something else that hasn't been noticed is that if SL supported full GPU rendering + any shader language > HLSL 2, this would open up the GPU for all sorts of other calculations. For instance, if you wanted to use the GPU for a physics engine, or for H.264 encoding, or for acoustic echo cancellation, or . . . well, really anything that managed code currently makes it difficult to do. It's possible to do a little of that now (see http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/p/181911/413814.aspx), but it could be improved dramatically.

• xiexie commented  · 

yes

• TylerTyler commented  · 

It 's very usable for our projects.

• garethwattgarethwatt commented  · 

It would also be nice if the HW rendering pipeline supported the 3d transform and bitmap effects (on PC and Mac of course)

• Andrew MarshallAndrew Marshall commented  · 

There are two distinct issues here, I think that extending the bitmap API ( there is already an item for making DrawingContext available, which I think is far more important ) - would be more useful than extending pixel shader and GPU support.

• foolfool commented  · 

I agree with billreiss, we really need better blitter functionality like in WPF WriteableBitmap, but would add that image scaling in general must allow controlling the underlying magnification filter. WPF allows this via the RenderOptions.BitmapScalingMode attached property that can be applied to an Image element. I really need BitmapScalingMode=NearestNeighbor to avoid fuzziness and washed out colours caused by the default magnification filter.

• ernestasjuernestasju commented  · 

Noticed: Big Silverlight + Big DirectX = Flash wins (unfortunately).

• nelligannelligan commented  · 

See also my two suggestions about adding JPEG decoder/encoder classes, which would allow for full image manipulation in a background thread, without blocking the UI thread (especially when using SetSource to load an image from a stream)

• billreissbillreiss commented  · 

For the bitmap API, fast bulk array copy and blitting would be great, ideally with the ability to blit scaled and rotated.

• davidingdaviding commented  · 

On par with WPF or sub Direct3d would be great.

Feedback and Knowledge Base