I suggest you ...

PLINQ and TPL

.Net 4 includes PLINQ and TPL. Silverlight 4 should, too. I want to use these in my app and run it on both .Net 4 and Silverlight 4.

1,933 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Rockford LhotkaRockford Lhotka shared a merged idea: Put new .NET 4 threading features into Silverlight  ·   · 

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

This will be a wonderful addition whenever it happens. For the least bit, it will ease using the hideous WCF proxy async methods.

• CrashCrash commented  · 

This would be a very welcome feature.

• jonny64bitjonny64bit commented  · 

This would be create in my applications

• RaduduRadudu commented  · 

I squeezed my head until I read it's not yet implemented.....

I want it.

• AngelAngel commented  · 

It's required!!!

• PeterPeter commented  · 

would be very helpful for handling the Async WCF calls in silverlight.

• RajeshRajesh commented  · 

need it as it will increases the performance silverlight application .

• Chris MooreChris Moore commented  · 

Can we please simply have a "client profile" that is applicable to both Silverlight and WPF apps? And assembly-level compatibility for framework components that define this profile? And no, don't dumb-down the profile but, rather, augument Silverlight to include those aspects it doesn't currently have. If those criteria were satisfied, a significant number of suggested features on this list would evaporate.

• Chris MooreChris Moore commented  · 

Can we please simply have a "client profile" that is applicable to both Silverlight and WPF apps? And assembly-level compatibility for framework components that define this profile? And no, don't dumb-down the profile but, rather, augument Silverlight to include those aspects it doesn't currently have. If those criteria were satisfied, a significant number of suggested features on this list would evaporate.

• prabhakarprabhakar commented  · 

PLINQ is a gr8 feature. It would be gr8 if it is added to SL 4.

• dotnet4lifedotnet4life commented  · 

Please add support for TPL & concurrent collections in the next version of Silverlight. It would make app code cleaner & easier to read and maintain.

• Adron HallAdron Hall commented  · 

Very kewl idea... I dig it. Not a really big fan of the threading options in Silverlight right now to begin with. So it would be nice to have more...

...and that could lead to a host of other things.

• Rockford LhotkaRockford Lhotka commented  · 

Thanks for that link. I have a codebase that spans .NET and SL. Right now I have a bunch of #if statements to use the elegant .NET features on .NET, and clunky hand-crafted implementations on SL. That makes me sad, as I'm basically maintaining two implementations for everything thread-related. This is why I want SL to catch up to .NET in this important area.

• BorisBoris commented  · 

+1 This would be really cool.

• Ming ManMing Man commented  · 

We want System.Threading.Task to be in Silverlight. It is reasonable for Silverlight to be able to do parallel programming easier.

• AyubuAyubu commented  · 

Very important

Feedback and Knowledge Base