I suggest you ...

Consolidate WPF & Silverlight Programming Models

As a WPF developer, moving to Silverlight has been like learning a whole new platform, and while I realize there are some things I might not be able to do related to network access or security, the fact that simple things like how a ComboBox works is different, has me pulling my hair out. So whether it is databinding, or MVVM support, or controls - allow me to write my code once and then target either WPF or Silverlight.

I am curious as to how many WPF developers have either given up on Silverlight or delayed projects until there is better compatibility with their WPF code and skills.

3,976 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Øivind SolbergØivind Solberg shared a merged idea: Silverlight and WPF dual targeting  ·   · 

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TomTom commented  · 

Please, comme on !!

• motapunkmotapunk commented  · 

These should be combined into one technology and the same API:
        - Silverlight
        - Silverlight for Windows Phone
        - WPF
        - .NET for Metro Style
        - .NET
        For the base controls (Buttons, Textbox, Texblock, Canvas, ... etc.) it should be the same XAML api used.

• KryalKryal commented  · 

Silverlight and WPF should be combined into one technology and have native support in Windows, without plugins or browsers. Silverlight + WPF = the future of desktop development.

• LaughingJohnLaughingJohn commented  · 

Agree totally, technically there may need to be some differences, but these should be kept to the absolute minimum, there's no reason that the vast majority of Xaml shouldn't be common to both platforms.

I'd like to add that that the various controls (including the toolkit controls which seem to have been largely forgotten) should also be exactly the same where possible.

Honestly, Microsoft can't even maintain a standard internally ....

• JacoJaco commented  · 

I would say, I understand that there are technical limits..but the worse interopability between the two platforms is control templating, I still have NO idea why Silverlight does not support Triggers. They allow for the most complex logic to be built into a template without a single line of code...so please guys...can we have some triggers ?

• JerryJerry commented  · 

this is a basic demand

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

This is very important, the current MS advice of start with Silverlight and then move to WPF if/when more features are required is broken without this parity. Would be nice to be able to edit a project setting to move from Silverlight to WPF like changing the .Net Framework setting.. Streaming Video, WebCam and DeepZoom parity would be great too.

• shimmyshimmy commented  · 

Definitely aggreed!

• Mike GMike G commented  · 

I agree... but I think the most impoprtant things for me is this:
        If I build a SL DLL with some classes, forms, controls etc... it should be able to be directly referenced from both SL and WPF.
        Or if I have SL XAML then I should be able to use it in WPF.
        Or if I have a SL form and/or control I should be able to inherit from it in SL and WPF

i.e. SL is a "compatible" subset of WPF with parity in tooling support

I don't think it's realistic to say that a multi-platform technology like SL to have all the features that WPF does. (Sure it could do with more but not all)

• chengcheng commented  · 

this's important

• gawicksgawicks commented  · 

very important IMO. I'm very keen on knowing MS's vision for WPF and silverlight. I think MS should offer guidance to developers in choosing the correct platform ;most people including myself are a bit confused

• Imran ShaikImran Shaik commented  · 

I hate the fact that when doing perspective transform in Silverlight and porting the application to WPF I have to do more than what I would bargain for? Why not introduce perspective transform in WPF?

• Rod MacdonaldRod Macdonald commented  · 

Delayed and swithered, delayed and delayed ever since the iPad was close to market. The whole wpf vs silverlight vs it doesn't matter what you develop in does our heads in because we all know it really does. And where do things really breakdown? The emerging tablet market for Windows. MS's fix? Pop in a SL control for WPF and let two disparate teams continue to fragment a market. My fix? Stick with WinForms or switch to objective C and get developing for the iPad.

What was really needed was cross Windows device commonality, not cross browser.

• haihai commented  · 

I need it

• Jeremiah PattersonJeremiah Patterson commented  · 

DeepZoom and SmoothStreaming in WPF!!!!!!! Pleeeasseeee!!!!!!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base