I suggest you ...

Set the filename in the Save As Dialog

Silverlight is about giving the users a first class UX.

I don't think that it's first class to let the user enter a document name each time the download a document.

We have to use ASPX for download until this usability bug is fixed.

Please also make the dialog title writable.

Thanks

1,638 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mhnyborgmhnyborg shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • birbilisbirbilis commented  · 

So when you set the filename it asks the user everytime "do you want to save file ...?" where ... is the filename. This is very boring, users just want to save something, they don't want to press OK at too many dialogs (then they stop reading what the dialogs say and just press OK which is unsafe security-wise).

If you omit the default filename it doesn't ask you, but then the user has to type-in the filename, which is sad

• Jason CallisonJason Callison commented  · 

This is great news that this feature is planned for the Silverlight 5 BETA!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!

• Espen KEspen K commented  · 

Its an outrage to release a product of this type lacking such a basic as well as expected functionality for any of its end-users.

and yes! it might just as well be true what Scott's firestarter presentation states at the 44:19 Mark.
        Ref: "It's like they don't want to implement this, perhaps they view it as a security risk."
        But then again... What the he*k do ya expect? Its MICROSOFT, u know..
        [Confirm the delete process.]
        you are about to delete the selected files. Are you sure you want to continue? "eh yea, click"
        [Warning] The selected files will be completly removed from your system, proceed only if you understand that the data can not be restored once deleted. Do you wish to proceed? "ehm.. YES, click"

[ARE YOU ABSOLUTLEY SURE YOU WANT TO DELETE THE DATA??]
        Please contact your system manufactor or your local microsoft support office for more information about how to securely delete files in a safe environment, without wearing a safety vest..

You see? ..mabye in 2015.. they will fix it.

• Jack BondJack Bond commented  · 

WHY isn't this feature marked as planned yet? Five minutes to fing fix, and just silence from Microsoft.

• StepanStepan commented  · 

I am pissed off that this basic function is not in sl4.

• sinni800sinni800 commented  · 

This is SO IMPORTANT! SO MUCH! PITY they didn't include it yet. PLEASE, Silverlight 5, NOW!

• Joost Van GansbekeJoost Van Gansbeke commented  · 

I think everyone that ever used a SaveAsDialog needs this functionality.

I know I do.

• Joost Van GansbekeJoost Van Gansbeke commented  · 

I think everyone that ever used a SaveAsDialog needs this functionality.

I know I do.

• JLowtherJLowther commented  · 

something that seems incredibly simple and sensible

• Matthias JansenMatthias Jansen commented  · 

This should definitly be part of the functionality.

• yessoyesso commented  · 

need this functionality as service pack for sl4.
        thanks

• Jason CallisonJason Callison commented  · 

can we get this functionality before version 5. In a service pack of version 4? Second half of 2011 is about a year from now.

• Jack BondJack Bond commented  · 

Noticeably absent from Scott's firestarter presentation at the 44:19 mark. It's like they don't want to implement this, perhaps they view it as a security risk.

• BorysGBorysG commented  · 

That is something expected by end-users in any "save as" dialog

• SamSam commented  · 

this should be functionality by default, today.

• ZhuleiZhulei commented  · 

it's important ... i need it

• LaloLalo commented  · 

The whole architecture is pretty (files saved in the database, downloaded using webservices, slick GUI), but not being able to set the filename in the dialog box just does not fit. Please fix this.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base